Mark Warawa Introduces Protection of Freedom of Conscience Act

Today, I introduced my Private Member’s Bill, C-268: Protection of Freedom of Conscience Act.

The bill seeks to amend the Liberal government’s assisted suicide legislation, Bill C-14. It would guarantee the protection of conscience rights of physicians and health care professionals who conscientiously object to participating in assisted suicide and euthanasia. 

I have heard from Canadians across the country who are very concerned that physicians and health care professionals would be forced to participate in assisted suicide or euthanasia against their will. There has been overwhelming agreement that legislation is needed to protect the conscience rights of physicians.

The Canadian Medical Association has noted that approximately 70% of Canadian physicians do not want to participate, directly or indirectly, in assisted suicide and euthanasia. The remaining 30%, approximate 24,000 Canadian physicians, have indicated that they would provide assisted suicide and euthanasia.

I encourage all Canadians and parliamentarians to lend their support for this very important piece of legislation that will protect the conscience rights of Canadians. You can sign the conscience protection petition at markwarawa.com